Shoprite Bursaries South Africa 2018 – 2019
ABOUT THE COMPANY – SHOPRITE
In 1979, the Shoprite Group was founded in a small town in South Africa by the acquisition of 8 Cape Town-based supermarkets. Today, Shoprite operates more than 270 stores across 16 countries in Africa and the Indian Ocean Islands.
The company also owns almost 2000 corporate stores such as Checkers, Checkers Hyper, Checkers Liquor, Checkers MediRite, OK Furniture, OK Express, House & Home, Hungry Lion, Shoprite Liquor, Shoprite MediRite and Usave.
Apart from the corporate stores, The Shoprite Group also own 367 franchise brands stores across South Africa and Namibia, including: Friendly Stores, Friendly Liquor, Megasave, OK Foods, OK Minimark, OK Grocer, OK Value, Sentra and Enjoy.
ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
The Shoprite Group are looking for students who want to work for one of the biggest retail companies in South Africa. If you’re looking for a lifetime opportunity and a company in which you can grow and learn about a diverse range of inspirational brands, this bursary may just be for you. Shoprite offers brilliant opportunities for its employees and has a passion for its staff and customers!
This Bursary Scheme is aimed at attracting and funding future Innovative Programmers who have a passion and a vision for ensuring dynamic outputs in an area known for ongoing change. The Bursary is available for 1st, 2nd, 3rd year students.
Bursaries are available within the following fields of study:
- Information Technology
- Retail Management/ Hospitality Management
MORE ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – COVERAGE VALUE & SERVICE CONTRACT
The bursary ranges from R30 000 to R60 000, depending on the course of study and institution. They aim to cover tuition fees, prescribed books and an allowance for accommodation.
Please note that there is a mandatory work-back requirement – for every year that you are covered by the bursary programme, you will work at Shoprite for the equal amount of time.
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- Currently in Matric and have obtained a minimum average of 70% for first semester
- Currently studying towards one of the following tertiary qualifications AND have obtained a minimum average of 60% for first semester:
- Accounting students: studying towards a BCompt/ Bachelors of Accounting, leading to CTA and qualifying for a registered articles program
- Information Technology students: studying towards a BSc in Computer Science/ Statistics/ Mathematical Science/ Data Science
- Logistics students: studying towards a BComm in Logistics (Quantitative Management)/ BSc in Operational Research or a related qualifications
- Pharmacy students: studying towards a Bachelors in Pharmacy
- Retail/ Hospitality Management students: National Diploma: Hospitality Management/ National Diploma: Professional Cookery/ Retail Business or equivalent
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE BURSARY
Applications must be done online at: https://shoprite.bursary.erecruit.co.za/candidateapp/Jobs/Browse.aspx
You will first be required to Register an account on the Shoprite Careers portal here: https://shoprite.bursary.erecruit.co.za/candidateapp/Register
Once you have created an account, you may Login at: https://shoprite.bursary.erecruit.co.za/candidateapp/Login and continue with the application process.
You may be required to submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation when applying online (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- ID document (certified copy of)
- Matric latest results, if currently in Matric
- Matric certificate, if completed Matric
- Latest tertiary academic record, if at tertiary level
30 September 2018.
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact Shoprite Holdings directly:
Tel 021 980 4000
*Read the FAQ’s before contacting Shoprite: https://shoprite.bursary.erecruit.co.za/candidateapp/Content/FAQ-s_-_Applying_for_a_Bursary