De Beers Bursary South Africa 2018 – 2019
ABOUT THE COMPANY – DE BEERS
The story of the De Beers company dates all the way back to 1888 when it was founded by Cecil Rhodes, who received financing from Alfred Beit (a South African diamond magnate) and N M Rothschild & Sons bank in London. However, it is said that the companies history actually dates back to 1866, when the Eureka Diamond wad uncovered. De Beers’ two shareholders include Anglo American (who own 85%) and the Republic of Botswana Government (who own the remaining 15%).
Today, the De Beers Group of Companies specialises in diamonds and is involved in most steps of the diamond pipeline, including diamond mining; diamond exploration; diamond sorting; diamond trading; diamond retail; as well as industrial diamond manufacturing sectors.
The international corporation employs over 20 000 staff and operate in 35 countries, with mining taking place in South Africa; Namibia; Canada and Botswana. The company sells about 35% of the rough diamonds in the world.
ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED & COVERAGE VALUE
The De Beers bursary will be awarded to students studying/ intending on studying within one of the following fields:
- Chemical Engineering
- Commerce (Accounting major)
- Electrical Engineering (heavy current)
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgy (extractive)
- Mining Engineering
The bursary will cover the following expenses: tuition expenses, registration costs, accommodation and meals, textbook allowance, computer allowance in 3rd year.
Shortlisted applicants will be contacted and required to attend two interviews before the bursary is awarded.
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- South African citizen OR a South African permanent resident,
- Currently in Matric OR have completed Matric,
- Achieved a minimum “C” symbol in Science and Mathematics (Higher Grade) in Matric.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE BURSARY
Download and complete the De Beers Bursary Application Form (pdf).
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- ID document (certified copy of)
- Latest Matric, if currently in Matric
- Matric certificate, if completed Matric (certified copy of)
- Full tertiary academic record, if currently at tertiary level
Applications must be submitted in one of the following ways:
De Beers Bursaries
c/o Career Wise (Pty) Ltd
P.O. Box 30632
2) Fax: 011 403 0977
Bridging bursary – 31 July annually,
Vocational bursary – 15 June annually.
(Applications submitted after these dates will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact Career Wise (the bursary administrator) directly:
Tel: 011 403 0933/ 086 100 7787